Monday, May 11, 2009

Walk to Africa

Today, my Daddy went to the Dogromat to "wash" Mystic and Camille. Since the Dogromat was closed, he went to another mutt washing place on Lincoln called Barks and Bubbles. While there, Dr. Hamilton (my pediatrician) walked in to pass out some fliers about a "Walk to Africa" scheduled for next month. Dr. Hamilton is behind Lighthouse Medical Missions (www.lighthousemedicalmissions.com) which has been providing medical care to people in Africa since 1998. He has personally led missions several times, including at least once since I was born. He has an incredible heart which is why I am glad he is my doctor.

The Walk to Africa (www.walktoafrica.com) is taking place in Santa Monica and Mommy and I are going to participate. There is the "Adult Walk" (8 miles) or the "Children's Walk"(2 miles). I am thinking that I am good for 8 miles, but we are still deciding whether we should just go as children instead of adults. Dr. Hamilton and his team are hoping to have 1,000 people raise $100 each so that we can "walk the 8,000 miles to Africa" in one day. Mama and I are going to do our part. What's funny is Mama was just talking to Aunt Barbara this morning about walking the Breast Cancer 3 Day this morning, maybe next year again. Mama last did the walk in 2002 (and in 1999 before that). I guess instead of 60 miles, we will start with 8 (or maybe 2). Have to start somewhere, no?

3 comments:

Christine said...

Good for you, Gabrielle! You are such a sweet thing. Are you talking about walking or strolling?

Christine

Gabrielle said...

Options are (1) walking 2 miles pushing my baby in a stroller; (2) Mama walking/me in a backpack; (3) Mama pushing my stroller with me in it. Advice?

Uncle Steve said...

Gabrielle, How is your uncle supposed to make a pledge for you if you haven't signed up?? I think Option(4) You walk as much as you can, mommy pushes your stroller and you get in when you get tired....for 8 total miles! I don't want to forget to come back and make a pledge for you, so tell your mom to email me when you are registered. Love, Uncle Steve